Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar And Kirby

I had all-you-can-eat pizza last night.

After a long session at the gym in the evening, I was very hungry after burning up a lot of fuel. There is this really nice local pizza chain called Flying Wedge Pizza that has All-You-Can-Eat Sundays. As the promotion name suggests, they offer all-you-can-eat pizza, and even a bottomless drink, for $10 (Canadian!). Okay, so their pizzas are a little avant-garde, as in Texas BBQ, smoked salmon paté, and feta with squash sort of avant-garde. They also offer the occasional traditional pizza, like pepperoni, so there's enough of everything as not to bore my taste buds. Perfect.

What's so nice about my nearest Flying Wedge was that they have two tables up against the wall, where each table has its own flat panel LCT TV hooked up. It's not a big place, so the whole establishment is able to see what's on. Best of all, they let you control the TV.

But last night, there was no disagreement as to which channel to watch, because we were all tuned in to the Oscars. I was thinking that Brokeback Mountain would get all the big awards, since that kind of sweep is what gets a lot of people watching the Academy Awards. I was so proud of Ang Lee for winning Best Director, but when they announced Crash as the Best Motion Picture, this prompted a, "What the fuck!?" from around the whole premises. None of us in the restaurant saw it coming. After all, everyone in all forms of media was talking about Brokeback Mountain. Although Crash seems to be a good movie in its own right, its plot format is not unlike Magnolia, and no one has really heard of it let alone talked about it.

Perhaps the Academy is trying to reel in viewers with this kind of shocker. After all, the Academy Awards has been lagging in viewership lately. But then again, who am I say, when I have never seen the movie for myself? The whole establishement agreed that we should rinse off the shock of the Oscars with some Family Guy.

But today, what happened was a different kind of shock. I just read in the news that baseball great Kirby Puckett has died from his stroke. I first knew Kirby (not personally) when I was collecting baseball cards, specifically the Upper Deck 1991 set, and I would find his card many times. I guess I rembered him distinctly because his photo wasn't an action shot, just a big guy in the bullpen with a big smile.

So now I can't believe that the big guy is gone so soon. Although I don't know him enough to really grieve, I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt for wondering how much more all those copies of his 1991 baseball cards that I have is worth now that he passed away. After all, not only artists and authors, but anything that comes from celebrities are worth much more when they're dead.

Although if I REALLY wanted to make money from celebrity deaths, I should've joined a celebrity death pool.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMHO, I'm glad Crash won. It was a good movie. You don't hear about it because they didn't have an Oscar campaign like Brokeback did after its nominations. I first heard of the movie by word of mouth and everyone said it was good. Brokeback mountain followed the standard Oscar formula. A dramatic movie dealing with somthing controvesial that tugs at your heartstrings. Anyways, the Academy voting is messed up anyways. Can anyone say Three 6 Mafia?

Mon Mar 13, 09:31:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home