Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My First CGA Exam And Other Trials Of The Great White North

Sorry I haven't been posting much lately.

The exam is next Thursday, and I'm sorta in Panic Mode right now. Well, maybe not that bad. But for a course that's supposed to accomodate a full-time job, I'm instead taking full-time to study for it. As you may have heard before, I've been having trouble with this financial accounting course, since I'm rather on my own without the classroom setting. So now my strategy is to do as many of the practice problems as possible. That is, the practice problems with solutions to check answers. There's no point in doing the other problems.

There's probably a lot of attention from you folks towards my city of Vancouver, from the closing ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Turino, Italy. (Well, my city's actually Coquitlam, but since nobody knows where the hell it is, I just say I'm from Vancouver.) I caught a glimpse of the ceremony, when they were unveiling Vancouver as the next Winter Olympic site, and I was amazed at how accurately they depicted our city. Yes, we are indeed a bunch of eskimos that occasionally emerge from our cozy igloos to go ice fishing. Fortunately our igloos have sufficient electricity to run my computer to post to this blog; I just have to plug it into the snow. How convenient is that?

Unfortunately, the Olympics people didn't show the whole picture of Vancouver. Ice fishing is the only way we sustain ourselves. When the Penguin Spirit tells us that a long, severe winter storm is coming, we hunt polar bear to provide enough food to ride it out in our igloos. I still have the scars from that parting swipe that big sow took at me when I downed her just before the Big Blizzard of 1997.

I'm glad the person who arranged the ceremony got to the TRUTH. I was afraid that he/she would have bought into the lies of that money-grubbing Vancouver Tourism Board, who try to lure in unsuspecting tourists by falsely depicting us as a flourishing metropolis, set between the majestic Coastal Mountains and the vast blue Pacific Ocean in a pleasantly moderate climate. Don't fall for it! That just isn't the case with us Vancouverites!

Okay, I think I've beat that dead horse to a bloody pulp, so back to the Olympic closing ceremony itself. Near the end of the show, our mayor was honored with the Olympic flag. You can't help but notice the irony of the Winter Olympic flag being waved by a man bound to a wheelchair from a skiing accident. But still, I'm proud of Sam. Handicapped or not, I sure hope he does a good job running our city, since we've only elected him recently. But then again, any Causcasian person who manages to fluently speak Cantonese has got to be good.

Uh oh, Penguin Spirit say we have another gale-force blizzard coming, so back to hunt for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home