Friday, February 17, 2006

Back to School...For Real

You're all probably sick of me bitching about my fruitless job search.

Well, seeing how with my MBA alone is probably going to keep being this useless, I've decided to do something about it rather then to continue bitching. I've decided in a change of strategy and REALLY specialize in accounting. So I'm going back to school to get a Diploma in Accounting, and get hired by an accounting company while I work towards Chartered Accountant (CA) certification.

So today, I went back to my old university (before Miami), The University of British Columbia (UBC), to submit my transcript from my MBA. Some people nickname it "Coca-Cola University", on the account of UBC selling out to Coca-Cola, and vending exclusively their products on campus. Nevertheless, the campus itself is a beautiful place to spend a summer with my nose stuck to a textbook.

Knowing that I committed myself to being a student here, it certainly felt more nostalgic than the last time I stopped by. I also had more time to walk around campus and visit my old dwellings and haunts. The feel of a campus community gently wafted back from my memories. Especially when I went to have a bite at the pub's burger bar, and came across the tip jar with a quirky note taped to it, scribbled with the words: Please help us send our manager to Oprah so he can promote his gripping memoir of sex, drugs, and burgers.


There were a lot of new buildings, some of which were still having their foundations poured when I was an undergrad. Conversely, while passing by the Student Union Building, I saw another building which I faintly remember, being torn down by a bulldozer. Upon the toppling of a support beam, I let out a cheer, perhaps coming closest to fulfilling a childhood fantasy of witnessing my school burn down.

Classes will start in May, which is when I'll move into campus. The only concern is that single housing is not available during the summer, so I'll have to at most share a common suite with other students in a quad. Since I don't know anyone who's going back to school, let alone living on campus, I will be moving in with total strangers. Hopefully, my indication of preference for co-ed roommates on my housing application will diversify the risk, so that rather than ending up with hermits and complete assholes, I could end up with bitches, hermits, and complete assholes. I can't wait to relive my college experience!

Well, I certainly can't wait to once again stick it to The Man by keeping my own personal stash of Pepsi.

UBC scenery A rare moment on this popular lookout at UBC
when there are no couples making out.

7 Comments:

Blogger Wabisabi said...

Oh my, that's a pretty picture of our alma mater indeed. Don't you have a larger version of the picture? I should like to forward it to my former classmates and professors.

If things go well, I shall be returning to school to take a Juris Doctor degree in June too, but only as a part-time student juggling with a full-time job at a law firm. My eye are overwhelmed with tears as I speak of this. How I look forward to the day when I will have saved enough money to do a fulltime Ph.D degree, preferably in England and on the subject of forensic linguistic and forensic semantics (though there are just too many other damn things I should like to study too) - just for the pure pleasure of it!

Fri Feb 24, 06:21:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Wabisabi said...

The building you faintly remember is probably the Main Library, which they were halfway through pulling down the last time I saw it. Do send me a picture of it when it is built, and we shall follow Prince Charles' example in verbally abusing aesthetically disgreeable architecture.

Fri Feb 24, 06:24:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

I checked the Irvin K. Barber Learning Centre website.

Oh God, so they plan to take down all of the classical architecture and replace it with that big, bland, blocky thing!? Let me guess...the architects were trying to recreate the look of library books in a shelf.

Although I don't think Prince Charles bears much credibility in his assessment of things fair (e.g. Camilla), this time I must concede that he is right.

Fri Feb 24, 01:49:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Wabisabi said...

Do you or do you not have a larger version of the picture? -___-

If ever I became rich enough to sponsor a building at a university, I shall dictate the architectural details down to the smallest detail, and have it named after some great man of letters instead of 'Henrietta Wu Learning Centre'. (shudders)

Sat Feb 25, 03:06:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Oops, forgot to about that. I guess you mean the original photo from my digital camera. Where should I send it?

Sat Feb 25, 12:37:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Wabisabi said...

Did you know? -__-
To admin @ henrietta-wu.com
Delete the spaces of course.

Sat Feb 25, 07:54:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Sorry, I didn't.

Sat Feb 25, 10:28:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home