Monday, September 12, 2005

The City's Under Smoke

It's a severely hazy day today.

I went down to settle a problem with my bank regarding them getting my birthdate wrong. This isn't the first snafu I had with them. My most memorable one was when they listed me as "retired". An understandable mistake, since I wasn't working at the time, being 8 years old and all.

When I exited the branch, the entire city reeked of smoke, and visibility is down to a few hundred meters. It was probably some nearby moron who was burning a huge pile of autumn leaves, except it's too early in the year for that.

It was actually an entire bog that is on fire a city away. The methane produced by decaying vegetation probably sped up the fire. They shipped in every firefighting aircraft in the province to put out the fire, and they're still trying to get it under control. (full story)

The bog's name is Burns Bog. How's that for ironic? As ironic as that time when a fire burned down a condominium complex under construction, down the mountain from me. The developer's slogan: "The toast of Town Centre!"

In fact, I'll even go as far as to say that it's ironic as THIS.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home