Saturday, August 12, 2006

Testing Times

Certainly a trying day today.

My capoeira belt test was scheduled for today, so I rushed to the campus ATM before going to get cash to cover the testing fees. The master really tested my knowledge of all the moves, as every move has a name and he just calls them out and I perform them. Some of the moves I don't know at all so I had to look them up on the internets. What made the test even tougher was that I went to one lesson yesterday to get in some more practice before the test, so I was really sore today. I think the master was satisfied with my technical and musical abilities, seeing how this is my first belt test, and he gave me advice on how to improve my capabilities. My brand-spanking-new belt will be presented in a special ceremony in September called a batizado, or "baptism".

I left feeling good...until I felt a certain emptiness on my waist. It wasn't because these last two days made me lose ten pounds there - it was my empty phone pouch!! It was a poorly designed phone pouch, as it was loosely fastened with a magnet, and the clip allowed the pouch to rotate fully 360 degrees. If the pouch with phone were to somehow turn upside-down and one is to accidentally brush the fastener, the pouch will open and the phone is gone.

I looked all over the capoeira school and the ATM and their surrounding neighborhoods, the only possible places I could've lost it as I distinctly remember setting my Bluetooth headset to my phone just as I left my building, for driving safety. I even asked nearby stores if the phone was turned it. When it didn't look like I was getting my phone back, my heart just sank and said hello to my colon. It was a nice black Motorola V3 RAZR phone, but more importantly, I had a lot of friends' contacts in there. Some heartless and selfish motherfucker just picked it up and decided to keep it.

I always hated the Finders Keepers "rule" and think it's downright wrong. Some asshole simply made it up to justify theft. If I ever find something, no matter how valuable, I always try to find the owner, or at least turn it in to a reliable lost & found. I will not stoop so low as to salivate over finding and keeping other people's precious belongings, something that might mean a lot to them. (Okay, maybe if it's The One Ring to Rule Them All). If Finders Keepers was the prevalent rule, what keeps me from going to some poor schmuck and saying, "Hey, while you were away and I found your house, car, and beautiful wife laying around. They're mine now."

Without further agonizing, I cursed the phone and now the thief will have a horrible rash spreading from his/her hands.


Motorola V3 RAZR
My Preeeecioussssss!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home