Friday, July 21, 2006

A Taxing Midterm

My brain has effectively disintegrated into oatmeal...which should yield a teaspoonful.

I just crawled back from my income tax midterm, which is effectively a 1.75-hour memory dump. Well, except for one question that wants you to apply Common Law for tax purposes, but nevertheless a feeble effort to justify that this exam cannot be written by a monkey - that is, a monkey with superhuman memory. I thought my English exam was bad, with all those long essays within 3 hours. But at least if you've made an outline first, actually writing the essay is mere hand exercise.

At the introductory level, income tax is all memorizing and no thinking. I don't think I handled the memory dump too well, since I skipped many sections that I've deemed low-priority because of their mark value. Yep, as always, I didn't have enough time to finish the exam. This reflects real life, where your clients require you to do all their personal and business income taxes, and any possible conflicts with the government, and any resulting court rulings, in a time span of less than two hours. So if you're ever someone's accountant, don't bill by hours. I'm pretty damn sure I fucked this one up, so I have to re-evaluate my studying strategy, and drink off the bad taste of this exam when I go to The Plaza with my buddies tonight.

Why does the government need so many goddamn rules to decide how much money they should steal from hard-working people!?!? The Canadian Income Tax Act started out as a pamphlet - now it's thicker than a phone book! The government would've probably taken away our firstborns to sell and raise revenue, if it weren't for those firstborns growing up to possibly become productive Canadians to steal even more money from. Besides, they're probably content with all the arms and legs they've collected. Interestingly, I heard that income taxes were historically introduced as a temporary measure to fund The War.

Regardless, this exam has led me to sympathize more with anarchists.

Note: I said ANARCHISTS, NOT antichrists! Learn to fucking read!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home