Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Happy Belated New Year!!!

Alright, so my first entry for 2006 is late.

Well, I've been trying to spend more time with my visiting brother, since his girlfriend left a week ago. He just left today before school starts again for him. Well, that's my excuse and to hell with you all who don't buy it (I bet you're the same kind of people who insist on saying "Happy Holidays").

To the rest of you, wishes of happiness, health, and prosperity as always! I need you all to be in tip-top shape to read my blog and its inconspicuous product plugs. (Preparation H!) No, seriously, all of you take care of yourselves. Especially in a world that's starting to go to hell in natural disasters.

If any of you still haven't had enough of the countdown festivities, I found this neat website that has 360-degree panorama pics, complete with sound, of 2006 countdown parties in several major cities around the world. The centerpiece is Times Square in New York, where you get to see yourself stageside with Mariah Carey. You're going to need Quicktime to view these panorama shots. Yes, the same Quicktime that keeps harrassing you to upgrade to Quicktime Pro, under threat of killing your dog, whenever you open the program. If you already have Quicktime, then go to the website here.

Well, it certainly feels like New Year, except at my house. If you ever passed by our neighborhood at night, you know which house is ours. It is, without exception, the very last house to have Christmas lights on. My parents insist that since the Magi visited Jesus on January 6, the lights should stay on that long. Even inside, the decorations remained unchanged, including this 3-foot-tall annoying fucking plastic snowman with fiber optic trim, that plays a looped segment of Silent Night for an excruciating five minutes at the slightest bump. I really want to beat the shit out of this fucking snowman, but that would only encourage it to play partial Silent Night even longer. Crap. Foiled by a plastic snowman. How do I defeat a fiend that is electrically powered? Hmmm.....

If you want to go somewhere that feels like New Year's, go to the gym on the first day of the year that it opens. I went to the gym at the aquatic center down the hill, and the place was packed. Not only the swimming area, but the gym too. In addition to the regulars that I see there, I saw several new faces consisting mainly of middle-aged white men. I think it's safe to assume that all these extra people are trying to fulfill their new year resolutions of losing weight. I'm not too worried about not being able to use the bench press, because I expect this place to be extra-packed for only a couple of more weeks, the length of time people usually uphold their new year resolutions. Especially resolutions that involve physical work in a continent of fatasses.

As for resolutions, I certainly hope that this will be the year I get a freakin' job. Although it took my neighbor three years to find one, I already think that this bullshit has been going on too long. I'm sure I've come into this year with some aces up my sleeve. I've got a couple of professional recruiters on the trail for me, but I'd like to think that this one website, mkt10.com, will be the one to finally sink the ball into the cup. It's a highly elaborate job search site that offers a closer match to the appropriate job, at a level of detail far greater than anything Monster.com or Careerbuilder.com could offer.

How it works is that you spend a bit of time filling in a highly detailed questionnaire involving your background and skills that you've used in past jobs. You'll have to select the specific skills (e.g. data analysis, forecasting, communication) that you've used in each job, and prioritize them on how much you've used those skills. Employers have to fill in a similar questionnaire for the job openings that they're putting up. So the detail put into this questionnaire will theoretically provide the best job match. OH LOOK!! mkt10.com has sent me an e-mail with a job that has a 9.2/10 match factor. It's...a Mary Kay independent beauty consultant. Fuck.

And so, we're all probably going to go through a lot of hardships, as well as joys this year. We all have to keep our chins up, put on a brave face (or your poker face if you're playing poker), yet grit our teeth to meet whatever challenges that arise this year. I'm sure that with the proper attitude, we'll all pull through another year and end up better than the last. If even a jobless middle-aged man who lives with his parents like me can be this way in the face of difficulty, then so can you!

And if any of those difficulties result in facial scarring, I can offer you some of these quality Mary Kay products to mask it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wabisabi said...

3 years? Could your friend be one of those オーバードクター? -___-

You know, the longer you stay unemployed, the harder it is to find a job. -___-

Sat Jan 07, 06:21:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

...which compounds to my immense frustration.

Sun Jan 08, 02:40:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home