Tuesday, August 16, 2005

I Felt The Earth Move Under My Feet

Today is the day that I leave Japan. Well, it's technically yesterday now that I've crossed the International Date Line back to Vancouver, but the way I see it, it's just one continuous, crazy day. So I woke up for the last time in Japan at my girlfriend's house, and I was checking my e-mail on my computer when I suddenly felt the seat rocking back and forth.

Now usually this is a false alarm because I have a big ass and that feeling could just be the blood vessels throbbing under the tremendous pressure of keeping my upper body up, whilst conducting the precious blood supply to my legs. But after noticing the light sway back and forth, as well as my girlfriend's dad feeling the swaying, I realize that this is the real deal. The whole building rocked for a few minutes after that.

The earthquake didn't even finish before the report flashed up on the TV a minute later. It occurred off the water from Sendai in the north, at a scale of 6. Still, I shouldn't be surprised at the speed of the report, nor the fact that no one was killed, since Japan probably has to deal with this all the time and has gotten good at it.

My girlfriend was, of course, freaking out a bit because this could mean delay in the train systems that will take me to Narita Airport, and the more horrifying prospect of me missing my flight and staying at her home longer. Fortunately, only some Shinkansens were stopped in the north, and I was able to make my flight on time.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be here at my home typing this, nor would I be able to post some pics. I'll try to post some photos from Japan in my next few posts as well.

Prosecute the Manager!

Why take it out on the manager?

2 Comments:

Blogger lalamoon said...

heeh, it's just missing a period..not so bad for engrish :)

Sun Aug 21, 04:04:00 PM 2005  
Blogger lalamoon said...

and wow, you planned departured moved the world!! and are you sure your gf was freaking out cuz you might miss your flight?? or that fact that part of her pray came true?

Sun Aug 21, 04:06:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home