Thursday, February 08, 2007

Singled-Out Sushi

There I was in another weekly solo foray into late nite all-you-can-eat sushi.

Like any Chinese-run establishment, the restaurant focused more on optimizing customer turnover rather than customer service. Therefore, to make sure that they fill all the seats, they arranged all the tables in my section into single-table-two-chair configurations to accomodate all the couples coming in. The problem is, I was the only person in this section dining across an empty chair.

I don't mind. I've been singled out all my life.

When I was in elementary school, and when we were playing any sport in PE class that requred two designated team captains to pick their team members, I was always the last kid chosen. Well, "chosen" isn't really the best choice of words since I was the last person remaining, so "very reluctantly stuck with" is probably more appropriate diction. Furthermore, whenever an activity requires all students to form pairs or whatever certain size of groups, I was always the one singled out. So by now, I've really stopped giving two shits about it.

Besides, having another person with me in an all-you-can-eat session will slow me down. It's harder to find a table for even two when the restaurant is crowded, whereas if I'm alone, I can nearly always find a seat at the sushi bar. Ordering food would be slower because as I go over each item in the order form, I'll have to check my eating partner whether or not she wants that dish and if so, how many.

Worst of all, dining with another person wastes valuable eating time because I'll have to do things with her like talk to her. Dammit, last call is at 11:30PM and I'm trying to get the most food for my money! I have no time to talk about crap like What's-Her-Name that you met at the mall and how she's gotten fat and bitter over the years, the latest designer brands, relationships, or your periods. I am busy trying to keep myself alive and well by EATING.

I'm not being antisocial - it's just that a strong and fierce lone wolf travels the fastest and gets the whole prey.

2 Comments:

Blogger krazykrankyken said...

At least you didn't stuff your leftovers into zip-lock bags. Man, I wasn't the one who over-ordered! And I didn't want to be "double-punished"! Can you believe that happened nearly 10 years ago?

Fri Mar 16, 11:39:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Hahaha! Your mom was well fed that nite!

Fri Mar 16, 01:20:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home