Saturday, January 13, 2007

I See Dead People

I got up at freakin' 5AM this morning.

Because it was sold out during the good hours, me and some friends had to settle for the wee morning to check out the Bodyworlds 3 Exhibit (What happened to the first two?). This exhibit and its treatment of dead bodies has generated much controversy, particularly from Bible-thumpers and other religious rabble-rousing groups. But then again, The Church has always been hindering scientific progress with their accusations of heresy, so it isn't surprising. That such is the desire of the cadavers' previous owners is probably the only reason such an exhibit is happening at all.

Personally, I think this is a wonderful educational tool because, unlike the next best thing which is actual dissection, these corpses can be displayed over and over again in their plastinated state instead of requiring burial. Each body was presented artistically with beauty, grace, and dignity, yet they allow the observer to clearly see its anatomical configuration and how each body part contributes to its pose and function.

Too bad none of the exhibits could explain why my back suddenly got so damn itchy while viewing the Nervous System section of the exhibit. Or why it always seem to happen in the most awkward spot where you cannot reach. To make things worse, I still had my heavy coat on because I couldn't find the coat check, and even if I did, it would probably cost money. It was totally driving me nuts, so I was at my wit's end in utilizing my innovative faculties to come up with an immediate means to kill this itch.

That was when my eyes widened epiphanically at the arm of one of the exhibits, whose fingers were curled up in a rather effective scratching position.

I suppose it would not be an act of desecration, since the deceased had donated her body for philanthropic reasons, it would surely include her anatomical gift being used to relieve someone of their torment. In the end, I wisely decided against it because I didn't want my fascinating time to prematurely end by being hauled out by security. Instead, I managed to find a nice protruding corner of the wall to cat-rub against.

Unfortunately, no photographs were allowed in the exhibit. Instead, I've found more than enough photos to give you an idea in the official website.

No problem, glad I could lend a hand!

4 Comments:

Blogger Wabisabi said...

I see that you haven't been updating for a while. Keep it up. I have always enjoyed the sense of humour you display in your posts. Wish you would find a real job soon too as it would be amusing to see how you find the corporate world.

Fri Mar 02, 02:51:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Thanks for your good wishes, but actually, I'll be joining an accounting firm in September.

Don't know what I can write without getting fired, though...

Sat Mar 03, 12:15:00 AM 2007  
Blogger krazykrankyken said...

I've been checking your site regularly, and am glad that you've been updating more frequently. But it's strange how your entries are time-stamped. Entries that appear in March seem to have been written in February. I guess you do what I do and START writing entries, but don't end up finishing them until weeks later.

Fri Mar 16, 11:43:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

Yup, you've figured it out, you detective, you. I've been backlogged for almost a year now.

Fri Mar 16, 01:23:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home