Sunday, May 07, 2006

Empty Cage

This is it, I'm moving into UBC.

I'll be calling a quad (a suite for four with private bedrooms, and common kitchen and bathroom) in St. Andrew's Hall my new home. It's not the first time I've lived in this residence; I've spent most of my undergrad years here. So I know a few things about living in a dorm.

For example, if you know when one of your roommates is moving out, be sure to take all the stuff that you own, including pots and pans, and lock them into your room because you know he'll be helping himself to a few "unconsented parting gifts" on his way out.

Which brings the issue to my roommates. I don't know who the hell they are. Along with my assigned room, dorm administrations tend to surprise you on these kind of things. But with my luck, I know I'll probably be set up with assholes. And if I'm lucky enough to have girls living with me, bitches.

I finally managed to drive all my crap to the place in one trip, with a little help from my folks in a separate vehicle. Since this is the weekend, I had to get my keys from the community coordinator living in one of the townhouse buildings. Armed with the key, I was shown to my quad, which is on the second floor and facing another building. I was hoping for a higher floor (so my room's less accessible to mosquitoes and burglars), and facing the view. But then again, that side will have a lot of construction going on, so this is just fine.

Unlocking the door, I took a deep breath and readied myself to meet my new roommates. I faintly hoped for a "Welcome Vincent!", but expected more of a "Fuck, you're the new roommate." So which is it going to be? I slowly nudged the door open, those few seconds unbearably stretched to eons so that the tension of the moment is excruciating...

..and not a soul in the place.

Why does God withold answers from me so? Oh well, I'm sure they're just out for the day. So I unlock the door to my room. Not bad. In pretty good condition and quite liveable. Most of all, it doesn't smell. And surprisingly, there are no vomit/blood/unknown fluid stains on any side of the mattress. Well, none that is visible anyways.

It took me a couple of hours to unpack and set up my TV and computer. After dinner with my parents, I was left to settle into my new home for the rest of the year. Not bad. I think I'll like it. Especially now that I have access to a vehicle if the bus cannot accomodate my transportation needs. But with gas prices these days, it would be to my financial interest to use the bus as much as possible.

Midnight. And yet, not a single person has shown up. I felt like a rat placed in an unfamiliar environment, surrounded by scientists beyond my sensory range diligently studying my response to exotic stimuli. Then, I heard a key sliding into a lock and the quad door open. The experiment has ended, and I anxiously braced for the figure emerging from the blandly colored portal.

A very pretty Venezuelan girl made her way in and introduced herself. She seemed quite nice. She told me that she just came back from the airport from a trip. The rest of my roommates are out in the Okanagan, and they will return tomorrow. I wanted to say, "Well, technically today," but with first impressions being important, I don't want to spend the rest of the year living with a roommate who thinks I'm a pedantic asshole. I'll leave it to later for her to figure out that I am one.

Well, beyond all expectations, this is a pretty good start.

View outside my window in UBC

Moody view outside my window.

2 Comments:

Blogger krazykrankyken said...

Oh man, show us a picture of the pretty Venezuelan!

So in total, how many years will you have spent at UBC? I was enrolled for 7, but spent 1 in Taiwan.

Fri May 19, 01:21:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Cosmic Ocean said...

4.75. This program should take 9 months tops with the course exemptions I got.

Fri May 19, 04:59:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home