Sunday, April 30, 2006

Vietnamese Wedding Reception

The son of one of my dad's Vietnamese clients got married today.

My family was invited to the wedding reception, Vietnamese style according to the bride and groom's families. A Vietnamese style wedding reception is quite similar to a Chinese wedding reception, in which both share a common anthropological and social origin resulting in a similar culture, and in which both are heavily westernized. That, and the reception was held in a Chinese restaurant.

Both the bride and the groom have huge families, so the reception was attended by about 700 guests - and that's with a lot of absentees. It was like a massive family reunion, so everyone was chatting away at other tables. Thus, it took so long to get everyone together, sitting down, and paying attention that we didn't actually start to eat until about 9PM. That was worse for me, because I pretty much knew nobody in the wedding, so I felt very uncomfortable and out of place; the more festive things got, the lonelier I felt. Therefore, all that I was focusing on and looking forward to was the food.

Then, my mom started giving me shit about not socializing enough. What am I to do? Start randomly going around tables and chatting up/annoying people that I probably won't be seeing again, because they mostly come all the way from Abbotsford? Besides, everyone's already going all out on the wine, and will be too drunk to remember me anyway.

But that was probably because my parents both got a little bit drunk on wine, too. Once, they never even drank one drop of alcohol. I guess taking up being winos was part of the sweeping changes they have implemented on their lifestyle when they went through their mid-life crises. Because they started their foray into alcoholism so late in their lives, their capacity for alcohol is worse than a 14 year old on a trip to Tijuana.

And speaking of getting drunk, when the time came for the groom to carry the bride around the banquet area, this one red-faced uncle sitting at my table wouldn't stop shouting, "CARRY HER WHILE YOU STILL CAN, BEFORE SHE GETS FAT!!!"

I'm just glad my mom didn't get so drunk that she started to randomly go around tables inquiring with girls on their interest in being a bride for her son. That would be a new low point in my life, although, as I said before, I probably won't be seeing any of those people again. Nevertheless I do wish the bride and groom a happy life together.

And most of all, the food kicked ass.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. For once (and only this once) I am glad to be stuck in Kansas where I don't have to go to such awkward social events with mom and dad! Ok, that's enough laughing. Help! I'm stuck in Kansas.

Wed May 10, 11:18:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home